Grayson's Birth Story

In the week leading up to my due date my doctor talked to me about how I felt about inducing me at 40+1. She was concerned with my original request, which was to wait until 41 weeks to give Grayson time to come on his own, due to my platelets being low. After talking things over with Billy, I felt really torn because I really didn't want to be induced (and have to have pitocin), but at the same time I really wanted to be able to have an epidural. We both agreed that me being able to get the epidural was the most important (same rings true like it did with Camden's delivery-I'm not trying to be superwoman during labor but I have so much respect to those who go natural!), so we decided to go ahead with the induction for the day after my due date, the 27th. This also meant that both of my boys would be born a day after my due date...kinda cool that it worked out that way!

The days leading up to Wednesday the 27th were spent making sure our house was in order, packing last minute items, and spending as much one on one time with Camden. I remember Tuesday night rolling around and feeling relieved that I could put Camden to bed, take a long bath, do my hair, have arrangements for Camden all set up, etc. Not going to lie, it was pretty nice! The type A in me was happy that there was no rushing around, haha.

We both woke up so excited on Wednesday knowing that we would soon meet our baby! Everything went smoothly that morning and we got to the hospital on time ready to get the show on the road.

Once we got settled into our room and I got all hooked up, the nurses broke my water first around 1030am which was way more uncomfortable than I thought it would be. My water broke on it's own with Camden so having it be broken by the midwife felt really strange and frankly, hurt like hell because it took her awhile to get it done. At this point when they checked me, I was still 2cm dilated and 70% effaced. The midwife also mentioned that she was able to feel Grayson's fingers when she checked my cervix, but didn't really make it seem like a big deal at the time and not to worry about it, thinking that he would probably move it.

Soon after that I was started on a low dose of pitocin to get things going. I labored on an exercise ball most of the time and Billy tolerated episodes of Real Housewives of Orange Country for a few hours. Around 1:45pm, I was 4cm (progressing very slowly like how it went with Camden) but the contractions were about 3 minutes apart and I couldn't talk through a lot of them so I decided to get the epidural (I also didn't want to wait too long to ask for it because of my platelets potentially dropping more.)

The epidural went in fine and everything was going smoothly until they checked my cervix again and mentioned Grayson's hand being over his head still. I could tell they were getting more concerned by this, as they recommended getting on my hands and knees for 30 minutes to try to get him to move it. Because of the epidural and feeling numb, my legs felt incredibly heavy so holding myself in this position was not easy but I held myself like that for 45 minutes praying that it would work and his arm would be in a different position. The midwife even tried pinching his hand to see if he would retract it, but he still decided to show us that he was the one in control and that hand was staying put! 

Well, when they checked me again they found that this time his hand wasn't just resting on his head it now was straight out over his head and through my cervix. NOT the best of news. My nurse sat down on my bed and told me we needed to have a serious conversation and just from the look in her eyes I knew what she was going to tell me....that he couldn't be delivered vaginally, because it would be too dangerous, and that I would have to have a csection. She told me she's only seen this happen 2-3 times in the past 5 years and it's very rare! Just my luck, right? :)

I immediately started crying and shaking as this was the one thing I was scared of happening and wanted to avoid. I was terrified not only of the surgery, but because I really wanted to deliver him vaginally, knew the recovery would be longer, and that I wouldn't be able to pick up Camden for a while. I couldn't pull myself together, even with Billy and my nurse and my doctor being so supportive and holding my hand talking me through all of my fears. I was a mess.

Once I calmed down a bit and realized this was happening whether I liked it or not, Billy got into his scrubs, I got the spinal, and they wheeled me back for the surgery. I remember looking up and seeing all the lights in the OR and felt like I was on an episode of Grey's Anatomy...I hated it. Billy stayed so calm, not showing any stress at all, and held my hand/reassured me the entire time. My nurses/doctor were so caring talking me through the process as well...they really did everything they could to make me try to feel comfortable. The surgery itself went really quickly and wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I felt a little bit of pressure and was freezing cold and shaking, but that only lasted for a little bit. And of course, once Grayson was born and my doctor leaned over to show him to me everything instantly seemed right again. Tears of happiness flowed this time and I was over the moon in love with this little boy. Even though it wasn't my ideal labor and delivery, I was so happy that we had a healthy, perfect baby boy and that I could relax because it was all over...


After Grayson was cleaned up and weighed (8 lbs, 1.8 oz - 20.5 inches long), they handed him to Billy to hold and my heart melted into a million pieces. It was honestly a sight I will never forget - Billy's huge smile, seeing my son in his fathers hands, and even though I couldn't be the one holding him first the moment was absolutely perfect. Billy brought him over to me and placed him close to my shoulder so I could love on him, give him a big kiss, and soak in all his cuteness!

He was perfect, healthy, and we were so happy to call him ours.


I was able to breastfeed him shortly after I was moved out of the OR and felt so relaxed afterwards. Like I said, it definitely wasn't how I pictured things to go, but I know that in the end it was for the best and for that I'm thankful!


Fast forward to 7 days post partum and I'm honestly really surprised with how well I feel. Sure, the first few days were uncomfortable with the burning on my incision (and I had an awful cough which gave me so much pain the first few days), but I made it a big goal to walk around a lot and by the time we left the hospital I felt really good. I actually feel better than I did after giving birth to Camden. My incision is so small and the recovery hasn't been nearly as bad as what I had imagined in my head, which has kept my spirits up for sure! Oh, and not to mention the perfect 8 lb. baby who we were lucky enough to bring home with us and call ours...

To our sweet Grayson-
You came into the world with shock and awe, that's for sure. This first week with you at home has been something I've pictured in my head for the past 9 months and to have you here with us now gives me so much happiness. We are absolutely crazy about your sweet demeanor, chubby cheeks, and beautiful skin and eyes. Your big brother has even tried sharing his sippy cups when you're hungry and tried feeding you his vitamins! You are SO loved by all of us and we cannot wait for all the memories in the future as a family of four. We love you! 


  1. Sounds like you were such a trooper despite the frustrating news and unexpected delivery! Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy :)

  2. I remember feeling so frustrated and disappointed when my dr recommended a c section to me with Camden after I had been in labor for 27 hours! But, the most important part is that you and baby came out all healthy! C section recovery is rough, I'm glad to hear you are doing well! And it only gets better from here on out. Grayson is so precious!! Congrats again!!

  3. Glad everyone is happy and healthy!

  4. So glad everything went well for you even though things didn't go as planned. Healthy Mom and baby are most important! Not surprised you took it like a champ in the end. Grayson is absolutely adorable and he and Camden together just melt my heart. Congrats Mama!

  5. What a precious birth story!! Coming from a CSection mom, I'm so proud of you!! Yes, it's scary, but whatever we need to do as moms to bring our babies into the world safely, we do it. It's a beautiful experience because it's your experience, even when it's not how you pictured it to be. He is so precious and I'm so happy for you!!!

  6. Aw my friend, I didn't even know!! I am so proud of you and having had two emergency c-sections myself - they really aren't as bad as they are made out to be! I was up and about a few hours after mine with minimal pain and a full recovery at home. And like you say - as long as baby is happy and healthy/ Well done mama x

  7. Congratulations!!! My daughter came out with her hand over her head. The doctor had to push her hand back in as she came out. It was very scary!! I'm glad you feel great and everything worked out perfectly:)

  8. I remember my biggest fear when I was pregnant was the possibility of having a C section. Well, of course that's exactly what happened after being in labor for 18 hours! I also remember being so cold a shaking/shivering. Thank God for my husband & the anesthesiologist who kept me talking to keep my mind off of what was happening. The best feeling was when they pulled Finn out and I heard the cry. My recovery was actually really easy and despite my initial fears, I think I'm happy that I ended up having a C section and would definitely have one if I ever get pregnant agsin. It just goes to show you how even though life doesn't always go how you plan, things always seem to work out how they're supposed to, sometimes for the better! Glad to hear everyone is happy and healthy! What a beautiful family!

  9. Years ago I had a C-section for the same reason you did. My baby's hand was above her head. This is called a compound presentation and pretty rare. I never heard of anyone else experience this besides myself until I read your birth story. So glad you are recovering well and both your boys are adorable!


Leave some love: